Selected Employment, Consulting and Projects
My work has been a mix of employment, consulting and projects over 35 years in Australia and Cambodia. In that time I have worked for and with more than 70 Indigenous owned organisations in remote Australia in the Northern Territory, South Australia, Western Australia, Cape York and the Torres Strait and Victoria.
Facilitation of Strategic, Business & Marketing Plans including:
- Develop the Ikuntji Artists workforce participation in fabric printing/commercial activities: Ikuntji Textiles Project (2021)
- International Marketing Plan 2021-23 for Ikuntji Artists (2021)
- Crowdfunding campaign for Bula’bula Arts Help Us Start Fabric Printing Again (2020)
- Mentor Support Bula’Bula Arts to reinvigorate fabric printing production and sales (2020)
- Infrastructure Feasibility Study for Baluk Arts Mornington Peninsula (2019-20), with Armstrong Muller
- Artsworker Training for Papulankutja Artists (2019)
- Supply Chain Analysis in fabric printing for Bula’bula Arts, Wadeye and Injalak Arts (2014)
- Strategic Business Plan 2014-16 for Erub Erwer Meta, Darnley Island QLD (2014)
- Strategic Business Plan 2013 – 16 for Injalak Arts (2013)
- Fabric Business & Marketing Plan 2014-16 for Injalak Arts, Gunbalanya NT (2013)
- Strategic Planning Process for Conversations With Foreigners, Phnom Penh Cambodia (2012)
- Strategic Business Plan for Live & Learn Environmental Education Cambodia (2012)
- Feasibility Study for Phat Sanday Community Based Ecotourism, Tonle Sap, Cambodia (2011)
- Torres Strait Regional Arts Development Plan for TSRA (2011)
- Strategic Business & Marketing Plan for Gab Titui Cultural Centre, Thursday Island for TSRA (2010)
- Strategic Business & Marketing Plan for Copley Ceramics for Aroona Community Council (2009)
- Strategic Business Plan 2009-2012 for Erub Erwer Meta, Darnley Island QLD (2009)
- Strategic Business Plan for Wik & Kugu Arts & Crafts, Aurukun QLD (2008)
- Strategic Business & Marketing Plan for Babbarra Designs, Maningrida NT (2008)
- Business Plan for Ngukurr Arts with Burdon Torzillo Consulting (2008)
- Business Plan for Jilamara Arts with Burdon Torzillo Consulting (2007)
- Strategic Business Plan for development of arts & crafts in the region for Thamarrurr Regional Council, Wadeye (2007)
- Strategic Business Plan for The Mulka Project for Buku Larrnggay, Yirrkala NT (2007)
- Feasibility Study & Business Plan for the Kalumburu Enterprise Centre for Kalumburu Aboriginal Corporation, WA with Armstrong Muller Consulting (2006)
- Sales & Marketing Plans for Ernabella Arts, Minymaku Arts, Kaltjiti Arts and Iwantja Arts for Ananguku Arts (2005)
- Review of Chi Phat Community Based Ecotourism Project, Koh Kong, Cambodia (2011)
- Review of art centres and artists’ needs in the Miwatj (north-east Arnhem Land) Region. Bula’bula Arts (Ramingining); Elcho Island Arts & Crafts (Galiwin’ku); Buku-Larrnggay Mulka (Yirrkala); and Nambara (Nhulunbuy). Consultancy for ATSIC (2004)
- Reviewed and provided a strategic assessment of artists’ needs, functions and opportunities for arts centres in the Katherine, NT Region for ATSIC (2003)
- Major Review of Desart Inc (2003)
- Assessment/Evaluation of Wik Kugu Art & Craft Centre for Aurukun Shire Council, Aurukun, Queensland (2002)
- Major Review of Bula’bula Arts Aboriginal Corporation. Consultancy for ATSIC, Nhulunbuy Regional Office: (2001)
- Grant Controller/Change Manager for ANKAAA Consultancy for ATSIC, Darwin Regional Office: (2000-2001)
- Enterprise Reviews for Ikuntji Artists, Hermannsburg Potters and Keringke Arts with Armstrong Muller Consulting (1997)
- 2022 – Frock On! 2022 developed and facilitated the project for Ikuntji Artists
- 2021 – current Songlines Darwin, founder and Director
- 2019 – current Flying Fox Fabrics founder and Chief Hustler
- 2017-18 Provenance Arts – conceived and project managed establishment of Indigenous owned arts, culture and tourism space in Darwin for Injalak Arts https://vimeo.com/304084722
- 2017 CBRE Leadership Immersion Retreat – facilitated for the Leadership Team.
- 2013-2019 Injalak Arts Cross-Cultural Collaboration Project – accessories, clothing and homewares made in Cambodia from Injalak Arts hand-printed fabric. Generated over $1.2M in sales income for the art centre.
- 2012-15 Soccer Skills & Fitness Centre (SSFC) co-founder and sponsor, delivered free trainings to disadvantaged children in Phnom Penh
- 2011-15 Dragonfly Tours Cambodia co-founder with Sek Somnang and Sorn Vuthy, responsible tourism company
- 2008 Ripples in the Sand Exhibition for Yarnballa Festival – Mentor/Curator with Lavene Ngatakorua
- 2005-2008 Statewide Indigenous Community Arts Development Program (SICAD) – researched, designed and Project Manager for Ananguku Arts
- 2006 Sharing Our Stories inaugural SA statewide forum for Indigenous artists: Adelaide Festival Centre facilitated for Ananguku Arts
- 2005 ‘I just want to paint’ Report and consultancy for establishment of UMI Arts with 26 communities/towns in FNQ
- 2003-2007 Coffin Bay Art & Craft Gallery, owner and manager
- 1996-2000 The Art & Craft Centre Story Project for Desart Inc
- 1989-1991 Manyuku – Partnership for exhibitions and events featuring Warlukurlangu Artists, Bula’bula Arts and Tiwi Designs in Melbourne and Adelaide
- 1989/1990 Artlink Special Double Issue: Contemporary Australian Aboriginal Art. Consulting Editor. The first Australian art magazine to dedicate an issue to Indigenous Australian art.
- 2006 Consultancy for Crown Solicitor’s Office, Government of SA – Discussion Paper for an Anangu Aboriginal Art & Culture Centre project for Marla Township SA.
- 2003 Consultancy: Policy development for Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research (CAEPR), Australian National University, working with Professor Jon Altman on the Northern Territory Government’s Indigenous Arts Strategy.
- 2000 National Indigenous Visual Arts Protocols Kit panel member
- 2013-2019 Mentor Manager Injalak Arts, Gunbalanya NT
- 2010-2012 Business Management Adviser (AVI Volunteer) – Live & Learn Environmental Education, Phnom Penh
- 2005-2008 SICAD Project Manager, Ananguku Arts, SA
- 2001 Acting Manager Bula’bula Arts, Ramingining NT
- 1995 Project Manager Mimili Community Council Inc., Mimili SA
- 1991-95 Manager Injalak Arts, Gunbalanya/Oenpelli NT
- 1986-88 Manager Warlukurlangu Artists, Yuendumu NT
- 1984-86 Youth Supported Accomodation Worker, Wombat Youth Accomodation, Melbourne
- 2018 Injalak Hill Rock Art Book – project coordinator, co-author and editor. Coordinated self-publishing for Injalak Arts.
- 2017 Mayhmayh – Different Birds – children’s book – project coordinator, editor and co-author with Graham Badari. Coordinated self-publishing for Injalak Arts.
- 2016 The Kunwinjku Counting Book – children’s book – project coordinator, editor and co-author (editor). Coordinated self-publishing for Injalak Arts.
- 2008 Ripples in the Sand Exhibition Catalogue for Yarnballa Festival, editor for Port Augusta Council
- 2000 The Art & Craft Centre Story Volume III – Good Stories from Out Bush. Examples of best practice in Aboriginal community art and craft centres. ATSIC, Canberra.
- 1999 The Art & Craft Centre Story Volume II – Summary and Recommendations. A survey of thirty-nine Aboriginal community art and craft centres in remote Australia. ATSIC, Canberra. (editor, with Frances Morphy)
- 1999 The Art & Craft Centre Story Volume I – Report. A survey of thirty-nine Aboriginal community art and craft centres in remote Australia, ATSIC, Canberra. Contemporary Paintings from Western Arnhem Land, exhibition catalogue
Locations: consulting/workshops/research in communities, towns, art centres
Northern Territory: Injalak Arts/Gunbalanya (Oenpelli); Ikuntji Artists/Haasts Bluff; Hermannsburg Potters/Hermannsburg; Mimi Arts/Katherine; Keringke; Babbarra Designs/Maningrida; Merrepen Arts/Merrepen; Jilamara Arts/Milikapiti; Maruku Arts and Walkatjarra/Mutitjulu; Ngukurr Arts/Ngukurr; Nhulunbuy; Nyirrpi; Munupi/Pularumpi; Bula’bula/Ramingining; Wadeye (Port Keats); Tiwi Design/Wurrumiyanga/Nguiu; Buku Larrngay Mulka/Yirrkala; Warlukurlangu Artists/Yuendumu
South Australia: Tjala Arts/Amata; Ceduna; Coober Pedy; Copley; Coorong; Pukatja/Ernabella; Iwantja/Indulkana; Hawker; Koonibba; Mimili; Mt Gambier; Murray Bridge; Nyapari; Oak Valley; Oodnadatta; Port Augusta; Port Lincoln; Port Pirie; Riverland (Berri, Renmark);
FNQ & Torres Strait: Aurukun; Cairns; Coen; Cooktown; Erub (Darnley Island); Gordonvale; Hopevale; Injinoo; Laura; Lockhart River; Mapoon; Mornington Island; Mossman Gorge; Mt Isa; New Mapoon; Pormporaaw; Ravenshoe; Thursday Island; Weipa; Wujal Wujal; Yarrabah
Western Australia: Warlayirti Arts/Balgo; Kalumburu; Papulankutja Artists/Blackstone; Tjuntjuntjara